Wanted to have a family info board in the kitchen for a long time. But then these mirrors caught my eye and I instantly loved it. And when the MagicMirror project was featured Project #1 in MagPi I ran out of excuses not to make one.
Installation/setup is amazingly easy and well made! Need to invest time now to learn more about github and node.js to make the most of it!
Got the two way mirror from Plexihof (Lucerne, Switzerland)
Had an old Raspi 2 laying around that was not really reliable and cost me lots of headaches (ie. dropped wifi connection)
So I swapped it for a new Raspi 3. Used a brand new installation of Raspbian Jessie (2017-03-02)
Installation was a breeze. Followed this tutorial.
Problem I could fix
- Screen went black. -> install xscreensaver
Problems I could not fix
- MagicMirror does not autostart after reboot. Haven’t really invested time yet as this does not bother me too much
- Mouse pointer still on screen visible after MagicMirror starts. Also not bothering me too much.
- Two way mirror: 50 CHF (+20 CHF shipping)
- Raspberry Pi 3: 50 CHF
- Wood, screws, tools, cables, paint: ca 30 CHF
- Screen: Used an old, unused one